Field of Research (FoR)
Last updated: August 26, 2020
Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) Postdoctoral and PhD Scholarships! The newly established Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) has postdoctoral fellowships and SQA PhD scholarships for research in the area of quantum systems. If you are interested in pursuing research in my areas in quantum systems and control (please see recent publications below, a link to all publications on the side bar, and also the "My Research...view more
Last updated: August 26, 2020
Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) Postdoctoral and PhD Scholarships! The newly established Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) has postdoctoral fellowships and SQA PhD scholarships for research in the area of quantum systems. If you are interested in pursuing research in my areas in quantum systems and control (please see recent publications below, a link to all publications on the side bar, and also the "My Research Activities" section on this page) and are eligible, please get in touch with me via email to explore your interests and suitability. Information about other PhD research funding opportunities can be found below in this section.
The journal paper "Temporal information processing on noisy quantum computers" (with J. Chen and N. Yamamoto) has been published in Physical Review Applied! Selected for this journal's Editors' Suggestion. Preprint version here.
- Journal article: J. Chen, H. I. Nurdin and N. Yamamoto, "Temporal information processing on noisy quantum computers", Phys. Rev. Applied 14, 024065, 2020
- Journal article: M. Ali, H. I. Nurdin and J. E. Fletcher, "Dispatchable virtual oscillator control for single-phase islanded inverters: Analysis and experiments", to appear in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2020
- Preprint: J. Bentley, H. I. Nurdin, Y. Chen and H. Miao, "A direct approach to realising quantum filters for high-precision measurements", arXiv preprint arXiv:2002.07644, submitted for publication, 2020
- Review article: H. I. Nurdin, "Quantum stochastic processes and the modelling of quantum noise", In: Baillieul J., Samad T. (eds) Encyclopedia of Systems and Control. Springer, London, 2020. Preprint version available here
- Journal paper: Z. Shi, J. Li, H. I. Nurdin and J. E. Fletcher, "Transient response comparison of virtual oscillator controlled and droop controlled three-phase inverters under load changes", to appear in IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., 2020
- Conference paper: J. Chen, H. I. Nurdin and N. Yamamoto, "Towards single-input single-output nonlinear system identification and signal processing on near-term quantum computers," in Proceedings of the 58th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 401-406, 2019
- Conference paper: H. I. Nurdin, "Stability analysis of the sinusoidal orbits of a nonlinear proportional and resonant current regulator for islanded microgrids", in Proceedings of the 2019 Australia New Zealand Control Conference (ANZCC), pp. 43-47, 2019
- Conference paper: J. Chen and H. I. Nurdin, "Generalized simulated annealing with sequentially modified cost function for combinatorial optimization problems", in Proceedings of the 2019 Australia New Zealand Control Conference (ANZCC), pp. 43-47, 2019
- Journal paper: M. Ali, J. Li, L. Callegaro, H. I. Nurdin and J. Fletcher, "Regulation of active and reactive power of a virtual oscillator controlled inverter", IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., 14(1), pp. 62 – 69, 2020
- Journal paper: F. Fagnola, J. E. Gough, H. I. Nurdin and L. Viola, "Mathematical models of Markovian dephasing", Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, 52, 385301, 2019.
- Journal paper: Z. Shi, J. Li, H. I. Nurdin and J. E. Fletcher, "Comparison of virtual oscillator and droop controlled islanded three-phase microgrids", IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 34(4), 1769-1780 2019.
- Journal paper: J. Chen and H. I. Nurdin, "Learning nonlinear input-output maps with dissipative quantum systems", Quantum Infor. Process., 18, 198 (2019)
I was born in Indonesia but spent my childhood and early teen years split between Indonesia and Australia. I hold a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Institut Teknologi Bandung, Indonesia, a master's degree in engineering mathematics from the University of Twente, the Netherlands, and a PhD degree in engineering and information science from the Australian National University (ANU). After receiving my PhD degree in 2007, I was a Research Fellow in the Department of Engineering, ANU, in 2007-2008, and then an ARC APD Fellow from 2009-2011. I joined the School of Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications at UNSW in 2012 as a Senior Lecturer.
If you are interested in doing master's by research or PhD research with me in my areas of interest (see the section on "My Research Activities" below), please read the information provided in the information on graduate studies section below.
Current group members:
- Mr Muhammad Ali (PhD student)
- Ms Jiayin Chen (PhD student)
- Mr Jiacheng Li (PhD student)
Former group members:
- Dr Zhan Shi (PhD and postdoc)
- Dr Onvaree Techakesari (postdoc)
Information on graduate studies (master's by research or PhD degree)
If you have a strong academic record (equivalent to a UNSW First Class honour) and are interested in doing research with me, information about graduate research at UNSW can be found at the following website:
General information about research degree scholarships for prospective students can be found here: https://research.unsw.edu.au/graduate-research-scholarships
Sydney Quantum Academy (SQA) PhD scholarships (for domestic and international students)
UNSW Scientia research scholarships (for domestic and international students): https://www.2025.unsw.edu.au/apply/
Research scholarship opportunities for domestic students: https://research.unsw.edu.au/domestic-research-scholarships
Research scholarship opportunities for international students: https://research.unsw.edu.au/international-research-scholarships
For prospective students from China, Pakistan and Chile, there are also joint research scholarships from UNSW and their home countries: https://research.unsw.edu.au/unsw-home-country-joint-scholarships
Note that there are only a limited number of scholarships available (some extremely competitive), so a strong academic performance and track record is necessary to be competitive in your application.
- PhD, Engineering and Information Science, The Australian National University, 2007
- MSc, Engineering Mathematics, University of Twente (The Netherlands)
- Sarjana Teknik (ST, equivalent to a bachelor of engineering), Electrical Engineering, Institut Teknologi Bandung (Indonesia)
My Research Activities
My research lies at the intersection of control engineering and systems and control theory with the following disciplines:
- Quantum physics (in particular, quantum optics)
- Energy systems (microgrids and distributed energy generation)
Topics that are of current interest and I have worked on in the past include:
- Classical and quantum stochastic systems
- Quantum feedback control
- Quantum system identification and parameter estimation
- Linear quantum systems theory and their applications
- Model reduction theory
- Applications of control theory to renewable energy systems
- Decentralised and distributed control of renewable energy systems
I am a Senior Member of the IEEE and was Chair of the organising committee for the 10th PRACQSYS (Principles and Applications of Control in Quantum Systems) international workshop that was held at UNSW in July 2015.
I co-authored (with Naoki Yamamoto of Keio University) the Springer research monograph Linear Dynamical Quantum Systems: Analysis, Synthesis and Control in Springer's Communications and Control Engineering series.
My ResearchGate page is: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Hendra_Nurdin
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Quantum systems and control
- Nonlinear control of microgrids
- Mr Muhammad Ali (PhD, joint. Primary supervisor: Prof J. Fletcher)
- Ms Jiayin Chen (PhD)
- Mr Jiacheng Li (PhD, joint. Primary supervisor: Prof J. Fletcher)