Field of Research (FoR)
Tony Loughland is Academic Director of Professional Experience in the School of Education at the University of New South Wales. His research interests lie in teacher professional learning across the continuum from graduate to lead teacher. Tony is an experienced educator who likes to work from practice to theory and back again. His current interest is teachers who leave the script in their lessons and respond to where students are in their...view more
Tony Loughland is Academic Director of Professional Experience in the School of Education at the University of New South Wales. His research interests lie in teacher professional learning across the continuum from graduate to lead teacher. Tony is an experienced educator who likes to work from practice to theory and back again. His current interest is teachers who leave the script in their lessons and respond to where students are in their learning.
BTeach UTS Sydney 1994
B.Ed (hons) UTS Sydney 1998
PhD UTS Sydney 2007
- Erasmus Teaching Fellowship Award Feb 2019
- UNSW Arc Postgraduate Research Supervision Award Nov 2018
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
- Teacher professional learning
- Teacher education
- Professional experience in teacher education
- I currently have seven PhD students in the area of teacher professional learning. Two of these have submitted in 2019.
- I have supervised three PhD students to successful completion
Chair of NSW Council of Deans of Education mentoring working party responsible for project management of the development, production and curation of assessment resources for the supervision of teacher education students across NSW. The budget for the project was 276K. The project will feature in an upcoming AITSL showcase video of best practice in cooperation between ITE providers in NSW.
The successful NSWCDE website project has segued into a 109K proposal examining the role of the school professional experience coordinator in the quality assurance of professional experience in teacher education across hub schools
- Inaugural member of the Big Schools Network. The Big School Network (BSN) is a professional learning alliance of primary schools with very large enrolments in excess of 1000 students. It was established in 2018. The network reached out to the School of Education at UNSW to jointly develop a professional learning program for emerging leaders in these big primary schools. This professional learning program was evaluated by an associated research study conducted by Professor Mary Ryan from Macquarie University and myself. The Big Schools Network also has regular meetings for principals where university partners such as UNSW are invited to share and contribute knowledge where applicable. The BSN provides an ideal environment for educational collaboration in research and innovative practices in leadership and pedagogy.
- Member of ATEA national executive
- Worked with the UNSW Gonski Institute of Education in 2019 delivering two professional learning presentations and the development of a research proposal on school staffing in collaboration with Tracy Durksen
- Led the School of Education Hub-Schools partnership program through the development and delivery of mentoring courses, the successful implementation of the INSTEP program and managed the empowering of our school-based colleagues in the professional experience component of our ITE programs