iRECS is the new online research ethics and compliance system at UNSW. It enables a whole-of-life research ethics and compliance approach, from application to committee review through to project closure.
iRECS caters for human research ethics, clinical trials governance, animal research ethics, gene technology, biologically regulated materials, and radiation research safety projects across UNSW. It has/will replace all existing systems for Animal Ethics, Human Ethics, Gene Technology, and Radiation Safety.
The iRECS Project Team have collaborated with key stakeholders across UNSW to ensure the iRECS system is effective, fit-for-purpose and well-accepted by its user base.
iRECS Fully Launched
Published 24 November 2023
24 NOV UPDATE: The migration of Animal Ethics Online (AEO) records' documents has been delayed by a week. It will occur over instead. In the meantime, please navigate to AEO to access any AEO documents that you require. iRECS will remain accessible over the above migration period but system performance may be slower than usual.
This is to advise you that the Animal Ethics iRECS Module is now open to receive new applications, modifications and other submissions (monitoring compliance report; conditions reporting; unexpected adverse events; protocol deviations).
(demo starts at 10:44).
Friday 24 November COB to Monday 27 November SOB
this link (demo starts at 10:44).
iRECS FAQs and Navigation Instructions (also available on iRECS)
Head of Schools & Facility Managers Information
- FAQs - iRECS Applicant Portal
- FAQs - iRECS Reviewer Portal
- Human Ethics FAQ
- How do I get Collaborator access to a Human Ethics Project
- Animal Ethics FAQ
Organising Your iRECS Work Area
- iRECS Work Area – Standard Layout
- Creating a Project Folder
- Renaming a Folder
- Moving a Project to Another Folder
- Deleting a Folder
- Duplicating an application/project
- Transferring iRECS Projects
Applicant Portal - Navigating iRECS - New Application & Modification
- New Application - Gene Technology/Regulated Biological Materials
- GMO Description and Genetics Example
- Modifying an approved application
- Animal Ethics iRECS Demo - New Application
- Animal Ethics iRECS Written Instructions - Modifications
- Animal Ethics iRECS Demo - Modifications and Other Submissions
- Animal Ethics FAQ
Applicant Portal - Navigating iRECS - What happens after submission
- Application Status Updates
- Application Follow-Up
- Amending/Revising an Application (Changes Required/Subject To/Deferred Requests)
- After your project is approved
- Submitting an Annual Compliance Report
Reviewer Portal - Panel/Committee Member
- Navigating iRECS - Reviewing a Project (Application)
- Animal Ethics - Reviewing New Applications / Modifications / Reports Submissions
Reviewer Portal - DVCRE Review
If you have any iRECS login or technical issues, please contact:
For queries regarding the ethics application submission and/or review process and iRECS training, please contact:
- Gene Technology: email@example.com (iRECS module launched on 18 Jan 2023)
- Radiation Safety: firstname.lastname@example.org (iRECS module launched on 18 Jan 2023)
- Human Ethics: email@example.com (iRECS module launch on 15 Aug 2023 (new apps only); 22 Aug (all submissions)
- Clinical Trails: firstname.lastname@example.org (iRECS module launch on 15 Aug 2023 (new apps only); 22 Aug (all submissions)
- Animal Ethics: email@example.com (iRECS module launch date TBC)
If you would like more information about the project, please contact:
Dr Ted Rohr, Director RECS
iRECS will replace existing systems for Gene Technology, Radiation Safety, Human Ethics, and Animal Ethics.
The roll-out of the iRECS Gene Technology, Radiation Safety, Human Ethics, and Animal Ethics modules will be done in a staggered manner (three phases), with each phase consisting of four key stages:
- Build: Phase of the project where ethics forms and processes are being built in iRECS
- Demonstrate/Refinement: Phase of the project where end users (administrators, applicants, reviewers) are demonstrated iRECS in action and provide feedback. Refinements are made to the tool where necessary.
- Data Migration: Phase of the project where current/active ethics records are mapped and migrated from existing systems into iRECS.
- Go-Live: The date that iRECS is accessible to users.
|Gene Technology & Radiation Safety||Human Ethics & Clinical Trials||Animal Ethics|
Build: Mar – Sep 2022
Demo/Refine: Sept 2022
Data Migration: Oct – Nov 2022 / Jan 2023
Go-Live: 18 Jan 2023
Build: Apr – Aug 2022 / Feb - Mar 2023
Demo/Refine: Apr 2023
Data Migration: Jul 2023
Full launch: 22 Aug 2023
Build: Apr – Aug 2022 / Apr - May 2023
Demo/Refine: June-Oct 2023
Data Migration: Nov 2023
Go-Live: 17 Oct (soft launch); 21 Nov (full launch)
iRECS is a collaboration between the UNSW Division of Research & Enterprise and UNSW IT. The team work with the iRECS vendor and broader UNSW stakeholders to implement an effective, fit-for-purpose, easy-to-use research ethics and compliance system at UNSW.