Fields of Research (FoR)Social work, Social policy, Sociology of education, Sociology of inequalities, Education policy, sociology and philosophy, Sociology of migration, ethnicity and multiculturalism
Jung-Sook Lee is a senior lecturer at UNSW Sydney. Her research focuses on breaking the cycle of intergenerational disadvantages. She worked in the education and social work sectors for seven years before she returned to academia. She authored a much-cited article, 'Parent involvement, cultural capital, and the achievement gap among elementary school children (Lee & Bowen 2006)’. She also authored manuscripts regarding multicultural...view more
Jung-Sook Lee is a senior lecturer at UNSW Sydney. Her research focuses on breaking the cycle of intergenerational disadvantages. She worked in the education and social work sectors for seven years before she returned to academia. She authored a much-cited article, 'Parent involvement, cultural capital, and the achievement gap among elementary school children (Lee & Bowen 2006)’. She also authored manuscripts regarding multicultural practice, out-of-home care, child poverty, school social work, student engagement, and higher education. She is a CI of 2 ARC funded projects. Her expertise is well recognised as evidenced by her appearance on TES Magazine and The Australian.
2015-2018 Australian Research Council Linkage Grant [LP150100528]. Lost in Transition: Young People with Complex Support Needs [Dowse, Mendes, Strnadova, Lee, Cumming, Snow, Smith, Ellem, Birt] $392,200
2013-2016 Australian Research Council Linkage Grant [LP130101010]. Long-term Outcomes of Forgotten Australian Study [Fernandez, Lee, Courtney, Stein, Foote, Cheers, Pocock, Gray, Walsh, Conroy] $240,000
2013-2015 The Children and Violence Evaluation Challenge Fund. Ubuntu Care: Evaluating a child-centered approach to reducing sexual violence against children with disabilities in Burundian society [Pittaway, Bartolomei, Lee] €89,408 equivalent to $96,621
PhD & MSW, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
MA & BA, Seoul National University, South Korea
LSAY Research Innovation and Expansion Fund Research Fellowship, National Centre for Vocational Education Research, Australia (2008-2009)
Spencer Fellowship in Education Policy Research, USA (2005-2007)
Fulbright Scholarship, USA (2003-2005)
My Research Activities
Current Research Projects
- Equity in Education: A project to investigate people’s beliefs and attitudes about equity in education. It examines various issues related to educational equity such as people’s perceptions of equity in the current school system, their understanding of the concept of equity in education, their normative beliefs about educational equity, and their preferences for educational practices and policy to achieve equity in education.
- Social Work in Diverse Society: An interdisciplinary study to explore the issues of toleration, respect, recognition, and power in social work discourse.
Past Research Projects
- Lost in Transition - Young People with Complex Support Needs: A project to understand the lives of young people with complex support needs who experience overlapping forms of disadvantage and frequent transitions between services, institutions and care environments (funded by the ARC).
- The Long-term Outcomes of Forgotten Australians: A project to understand life experiences of 'care leavers' who have lived in all types of institutions and other forms of out-of-home-care as children (funded by the ARC).
- An Evaluation Study of the Ubuntu Care Project: A study to evaluate a project that aimed to prevent sexual abuse among children with a disability in Burundi, Africa (funded by the Children and Violence Evaluation Challenge Fund).
- Education and Life Chances of Young People: A project to explore the role of education in shaping young people’s life chances including employment, income, social participation, and wellbeing.
- The Effects of Poverty on Children’s Outcomes: A project to investigate the effects of poverty on children’s physical, socio-emotional, learning, and health outcomes. The duration, timing, and depth of poverty are given special considerations.
- Social Work Services in Australian Schools: A project to investigate the current situations of and possibilities for social work services in Australian schools.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
child and youth wellbeing; vulnerable children and their families; home-school partnerships; early intervention; diversity; social inequality and mobility; social science research; technology
Nirosha Boaden - Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in rural and remote schools (the recipient of the Norma Parker Award)
Murni Sianturi - Technology and family-school partnerships for Indigenous students (Scientia PhD candidate)
MD Badiuzzaman - Technology and family-school partnerships for students with disabilities (Scientia PhD candidate)
Peter Conway - Restrictive practices within behaviour support plans for NDIS participants
Member, The Australian Sociological Association
Member, Australian Association for Research in Education
- SOCW2008 Culture, Identity, and Diversity
- SRAP1001 Social Research and Society
- SRAP5101 Research Methods and Project Design
- SOCW2001 Human Behaviour 2
- SOCW2005 Research for Social Work
- SOCW3007 Research Methods 2
- SOCW3005 Research Honours
- SRAP2002 Policy Analysis
- SRAP3001 Quantitative Social Research
- SRAP3002 Social Research and Policy Project