Smart Project Scheduling; Supply Chain Management; Production Planning; Optimisation; Project Planning; Decision Analytics
Fields of Research (FoR)Planning and decision making, Artificial intelligence, Operations research, Evolutionary computation, Optimisation, Transportation, logistics and supply chains, Project management
Dr Ripon Kumar Chakrabortty is experienced in applying different Optimisation Tools and Techniques to optimise Project Scheduling and Supply Chain processes. His research interest covers a wide range of topics in decision analytics, evolutionary computation, operations research, and applied optimization in the "Project Management and Supply Chain Management" domain. He is only accepting potential PhD students who have good programming skills...view more
Dr Ripon Kumar Chakrabortty is experienced in applying different Optimisation Tools and Techniques to optimise Project Scheduling and Supply Chain processes. His research interest covers a wide range of topics in decision analytics, evolutionary computation, operations research, and applied optimization in the "Project Management and Supply Chain Management" domain. He is only accepting potential PhD students who have good programming skills along with a prior understanding of optimization and algorithms. Students with an exceptional academic score (more than 80%) and good publication records with proficient programming skills are encouraged to contact via firstname.lastname@example.org.
PhD scholarships ($35,000 per year) are available for high-achieving students (with H1/High Distinction in UG and/or Masters by Research) in engineering, mathematics or relevant sciences under my supervision.
Future PhD & Master by Research Students
Students who have good programming skills along with a prior understanding of optimization and algorithms are encouraged to apply. Students with excellent programming and communication skills will be highly appreciable. Several types of scholarships are available; however, admission and scholarship applications are highly competitive. A self-assessment tool is available to get a general feel for your competitiveness. You need to meet the English language requirements. If you are eligible and interested in working on the following (or closely related) topics or keywords, please send me your CV, academic transcripts, the result of the self-assessment, and a research proposal. Your research proposal should highlight:
- Research Motivation,
- Research problems,
- Research Objectives and Questions
- Brief Review of the most relevant Literature,
- Proposed Methodology and
- Expected Outcome.
- Machine Learning with Optimization Algorithms and Applications
- Operations Research and Operations Management Techniques (focus: Sustainable Smart Scheduling, Project Scheduling, Logistics & Supply Chain Management)
My Research Portfolio can be obtained by clicking here.
- PhD in Computer Science, University of New South Wales (UNSW), Canberra, Australia. The year 2017. Thesis: Managing Uncertainties and Disruptions in Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling.
- M.Sc. in Industrial and Production Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh. The year 2013. Thesis: A Decision Support System for Aggregate Production Planning.
- B.Sc. in Industrial and Production Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh. The year 2009. Thesis: Selection of Potential Suppliers Through Multi-Criteria Decision Making (MCDM) Techniques.
- Diploma of Logistics from Monarch Institute, Melbourne, Australia. The year 2018. Nationally accredited by the Australian Government under the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). Certified by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Australia (CILTA).
- Certificate in ERP (SAP Supply Chain Management), provided by the Sydney Institute of ERP (SiERP). The year 2018
- Decision Making in Analytics
- System Engineering & Management
- Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Project Schedule & Budget Control
- Decision Making Analytics
- Capability Option Analysis
- System Analysis & Modelling
- Software Project Management
- Engineering Management
- Probability and Statistics
- Operations Research
- Production Management
- Quality Control and Management
- Facility Management and Material Handling
- Project Management
- Maintenance and Reliability Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Operations Research
Professional Education Short Courses
- Project Management Analytics (Click here for Registration)
- Supply Chain Analytics in Industry 4.0 era (Click here for Registration)
- Business Analysis and Valuation (Click here for Registration)
My details 'myEducation Portfolio' can be obtained by clicking here.
Professional Membership & Affiliations
- Australian Society for Operations Research (ASOR)
- Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineering (IISE)
Future PhD Projects:
- Co-CI, RG204502, “Capability Integration Model Extension- JP9141-2 Analysis in Support of The Approach to Government Combined Pass”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2020-2021, $292,273.
- Co-CI, RG203864, “SEA1905-1 Artefacts Validation and Requirements Development”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2020, $300,000.
- Co-CI, RG192081, “Development of Joint Requirements Framework and Acquisition Roadmap”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2019-2020, $541,425.
- Co-CI, RG193169, “LTSS Operational Concept Development”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2019-2020, $245,125.
- Co-CI, RG202374, “Navy Guided Weapons (NGW) Planning Tool Update”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2020-2021, $330,600.
- Co-CI, RG194087, “SEA1905 with multi-criteria decision-making modelling in support of Gate 1 submission”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2019-2020, $453,750.
- CO-CI, RG201160, “Asset Maintenance Modelling”, Department of Defence / Commonwealth Government Contract, 2020, $353,705.
- Lead CI, “Pilot Optimisation models for security systems”, Capability Systems Centre, UNSW Canberra, 2019-2020, $37,000
- Sole CI, Academic Start-up Funding, "Solving Resource Portfolio Problem: Mitigating Uncertainties and Preparing for the Unexpected", School of Engineering & Information Technology, UNSW Canberra, 2019-2020, $50,000.
- One of my journal papers as a first author was awarded a ‘highly cited paper’ (i.e., enough citations to place in the top 3% of the academic field and publication year).
- Top downloaded/most read paper award within the window of 2018-19 for one of my publications.
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering & Engineering Management (IEEEM), 2018
- Champion, Competition on solving real-world constrained optimisation problems in 2020 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), Glasgow, United Kingdom.
My Research Activities
Please look at the "Decision Support & Analytics Research Group" webpage to find more about my research activities.
My Research Supervision
Areas of supervision
Supply Chain Management
Project Scheduling and Solving Dynamic Problems
Network Influence Maximisation
1. Md Asadujjaman (PhD in Systems Engineering) >> Integrated Project Scheduling with Supply Chain Considerations (Expected completion: September 2022)
2. Shahed Mahmud (PhD in Systems Engineering) >> Sustainable Supply Chain and Production Planning (Expected completion: September 2022)
3. Tarun Kumar Biswas (PhD in Systems Engineering) >> Integrating Optimisation in Influence Maximisation tools (Expected completion: December 2022)
4. Aaliya Sarfaraz (PhD in Computer Science) >> Deploying Blockchain Technology in the Sustainable Supply Chain (Expected completion: December 2022)
5. Supriyo Ahmed (PhD in Computer Science) >> Predicting Project Performance by Using Machine Learning Approaches (Expected completion: March 2023)
6. Md Sanowar Hossain (PhD in Systems Engineering) >> Production Planning under Dynamic Uncertainties (Expected completion: March 2023)
7. Dave Furtado (PhD in Systems Engineering-Part Time) >> Modular Product Architecture (Expected completion: March 2026)
8. Abu Hashan Md Mashud (PhD in Computer Science) >> Sustainable Supply Chain Design in Multi-echelon Framework (Expected completion: December 2024)
9. Sonia Farhana Nimmy (PhD in Business) >> An Automated eXplainable Artificial Intelligence framework for Operational Risk Management (AXAI-ORM) (Expected completion: February 2024)
10. Farhad Habibi (PhD in Computer Science) >> AI and Optimisations in Managing Supply Chain Resiliency (Expected completion: February 2025)
11. Mahdi Ansari (M.Res. in Civil Engineering) >> Integrated Solid Waste Management: Application of EAs (Expected completion: March 2022)
- Invited speaker, the International Conference on Automation, Control and Mechatronics for Industry 4.0 (ACMI 202), Department of Mechatronics Engineering, Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (RUET), 8-9 July 2021.
- Invited speaker at a Medical Intelligence Society’s virtual meeting (MIS Summit 2021). Medical Intelligence Society is a USA based company that offers a venue for clinicians interested in data science and artificial intelligence. The MIS summit supported my registration and attendance.
- Invited keynote speaker, International Seminar on "Big Data Analytics for Industry 4.0: Applications & Challenges", Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management, India.
- Chairing multiple technical sessions during the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering & Engineering Management (IEEM) since 2018.
- Program committee member for IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering & Engineering Management (IEEM) since 2018.
- Guest Editor of a special issue in a first quartile journal (Electronics-MDPI)
- I have been working as a reviewer for many well-reputed and prestigious journals related to my discipline.
- Editorial Board Member (Computational and Applied Mathematics Section) in Mathematics (MDPI): An Open-access Journal
- Editorial Board Member in Sustainability: An Open-access Journal (MDPI)
- Chief Guest Editor for a Special Section in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics (IF: 10.215, 2nd on Industrial Engineering as per the Web of Science).
- Co-Editor for a Book on “Artificial Intelligence for Smart City Development: Management Systems & Technology Challenges”. This book will be published via the CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group).
- Associate Editor for the “IEEE Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics- 2021 version”, the flagship conference of the IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society.
- Hosted a seminar on “Merging Data Analytics and Decision Analytics towards Project Management Roadmap: Future Perspectives” in the Australian Society for Operations Research (ASOR) Seminar Series.
- Associate Editor & Track Session Chair for the IEEE International Conference on Automation, Control and Mechatronics for Industry 4.0: 2021 Version.
- Co-Organiser, special session on partitioning and clustering for evolutionary computation, IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Padua, Italy, 18-23 July 2022.
- Editorial Board Member in the journal ‘Clean Technologies & Recycling’, AIMS Press.
- Guest Editor, special issue on “Neuroevolution: Methods and Applications”, Journal of Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, Hindawi.
- I have been the Program Coordinator of the Master of Decision Analytics (MDA) program at UNSW Canberra since February 2020. I am also working as the Program Coordinator of the Master of Engineering Science (M.Eng.Sci.) at UNSW Canberra since June 2019.
- I am also the Deputy Director (Acting) of the Capability Systems Centre (CSC) since January 2021. I have also engaged in multiple recruitment processes and interview boards for recruiting Level A academics (Research Associates) for the Centre.
- ZEIT3506 (System Engineering & Management), Sem-2 [2019-2020]
- ZEIT3506 (Managing the Development of Engineered Systems), Sem-2 [2021+]
- System Analysis & Modelling (UC, Canberra)
- ZEIT8305 (Systems Thinking & Modelling), Sem-1
- ZEIT8310 (Project Schedule & Budget Control), Sem-1
- ZEIT8402 (Evidence-Based Decision Making), Sem-1
- ZEIT8403 (Capability Options Analysis), Sem - 2
- ZEIT8404 (Decision Making Analytics), Sem- 1/2
PG Courses (UNSW Online)
- ZZCA6510 (Decision Making in Analytics), Hexamester 1 and 4
Professional Education Short Courses
Room 367, Building 21, Northcott Drive, Campbell, ACT
PO Box 7916, CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
Optimisation as its term implies often brings diversified contexts under one umbrella. Despite having opulence of existing optimisation approaches, integration of proper methods with real-life applications is still a challenging and onerous task. Here, we as a team, have been working on many such techniques to foot-print in diversified domains. We have been working on creating different Decision Support Systems (DSS) in Decision Analytics.
Following the growth and revolution of Industry 4.0 context in industries (particularly, on supply chain and project management…